Murlo seen from above

Murlo is an ancient medieval village, just over 300m above sea level, overlooking the Crevole stream from the Metalliferous Hills.
A land rich in dense forests, between the territory of the Val di Merse and the Crete area of the Val d'Arbia, it faces the Ombrone valley and the hill of Montalcino.
The origins of the place are linked to the Etruscan civilization evidenced by the findings at Poggio Civitate and Poggio Aguzzo.
The Castle of Murlo, now home to the ANTIQUARIUM of Poggio Civitate-Archaeological Museum, in its typical fortified urban structure, dates back to the medieval period-about the 12th century-when it was the main center of the feud of the bishops of Siena or Vescovado.
The town still retains the charm of the ancient fortified center, which has remained unchanged over time.


Headquarters of the Municipality of Murlo

The territory of Vescovado di Murlo has been inhabited since ancient times, with frequentation between the 5th and 2nd centuries B.C., contemporary with the development phase of the nearby site of Poggio Civitate.

The hamlet is the result of the union in modern times of two adjacent hamlets from medieval times: the northern one, called Andica or Antica because of the presence of an old castle, which was the property of the Ardengheschi counts before the establishment of the bishopric of Murlo; and the southern one, the hamlet of Tinoni, known for the presence of a hospital named after St. Leonard documented between the 17th and 18th centuries. The toponym Vescovado comes precisely from the historic territorial district that from 1189 to 1778 constituted the territory of Murlo as the direct property of the bishop of Siena.
Following the expansion of the village in the 20th century, Vescovado became the main town of the municipality Murlo, as well as the municipal seat.


First cited in 1189

The village of Casciano, sometimes Cassiano, is first mentioned in 1189 in a document by Pope Clement III confirming to Bono, bishop of Siena, the jurisdiction of several churches in the area.
The town was also known as Casciano delle belle donne, and this appellation is traced back to the 13th century, when a convent of novices moved to Casciano shortly after 1252.
Casciano was one of the six communities into which the bishop's feud of Murlo was divided.
In 1833 the town of Casciano had 634 inhabitants.

Tourist information office

c/o l'Antiquarium di Poggio Civitate-Piazza della Cattedrale- Castello di Murlo
Phone 0577-814099 

Murlo is Orange Flag

The Municipality of Murlo was awarded in the year 2004 the Orange Flag, a tourist-environmental quality mark for the inland of the T.C.I. (Touring Club Italiano).